Hey there foodies and fellow sauce slingers! I’m so excited to share this recipe with you all because it combines two of my absolute favorite things: pork and BBQ sauce.
It all started when I was just a young, impressionable foodie, experimenting with different flavors and spices in my mom’s kitchen. I was determined to create the perfect pork rub, one that would make even the most stubborn of carnivores’ swoon. And after many failed attempts and a few singed eyebrows, I finally found the winning combination of spices that would later become the foundation for this recipe.
Fast forward a few years to my first summer working at a BBQ restaurant, where I fell head over heels in love with the smoky, sweet flavors of sorghum BBQ sauce. I knew I had to incorporate it into my beloved pork rub recipe, and thus, the “Spice-Rubbed Pork with Sorghum BBQ Sauce” was born.
But don’t let the fancy name fool you, this recipe is easy to make and packed with flavor. The pork is rubbed with an incredible blend of spices, and the sorghum BBQ sauce is the cherry on top of this delicious pork sundae. Trust me, one bite of this and you’ll be hooked.
· One and a half cup ketchup
· Quarter cup sorghum syrup
· Quarter cup apple cider vinegar
· Two tablespoons Dijon mustard
· One tablespoon ancho chile powder
· Half habanero chile, finely chopped
· Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
· Canola oil, for brushing
· Four bone-in center-cut or porterhouse pork chops (at least 1-inch thick)
· Two tablespoons Spice Rub for Pork (recipe below)
Spice Rub for Beef and Pork
· Quarter cup ancho chile powder
· Two tablespoons ground coriander
· Two tablespoons dry mustard
· Two tablespoons paprika
· Two tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
· Two tablespoons kosher salt
· One tablespoon chile de arbol powder or cayenne pepper
· One tablespoon ground cumin
· One tablespoon dried oregano
1. In a small saucepan, combine the ketchup, sorghum syrup, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, ancho chile powder, and habanero chile. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. To make the spice rub, combine the ancho chile powder, ground coriander, dry mustard, paprika, black pepper, kosher salt, chile de arbol powder or cayenne pepper, ground cumin, and dried oregano in a small bowl. Mix well.
3. Season the pork chops on both sides with kosher salt and black pepper, then rub the spice mixture over the pork chops.
4. Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat. Brush the pork chops with canola oil.
5. Grill the pork chops for about 3-4 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
6. While the pork is grilling, reheat the sauce over low heat.
7. Serve the pork chops hot off the grill with the sorghum BBQ sauce on the side.
8. Enjoy the unique twist of adding sorghum syrup and habanero chile to the BBQ sauce, which adds a depth of flavor and a touch of heat to balance the sweetness. This recipe is perfect for summertime BBQs or any occasion when you want to impress your guests with a delicious and flavorful meal.
A little bit of spice, a whole lot of flavor, and enough BBQ sauce to drown a pig (but please don’t do that, let’s respect the pig’s life). This recipe is perfect for impressing your friends and family at your next BBQ or for just treating yourself to a delicious meal. So go forth, grill with abandon, and don’t forget to slather on that sorghum BBQ sauce. Remember, a little bit of sauce never hurt anyone (except for maybe your shirt, but that’s a small price to pay for deliciousness).